This temple was founded by Ota Dokan in 1476 and moved to its current site in 1600. The cemetery is located on a hill that extends to Atago-yama; the tomb of Yarimochi Kansuke, which is shaped like a human figure, stands near the entrance. Yarimochi Kansuke (his real name was Ashida Yoshikatsu) was a low-ranking foot soldier (ashigaru) in the army of Matsudaira Echigo-no-kami Nobutomi, feudal lord of the Mimasaka-Tsuyama clan (Okayama Prefecture). At that time, the spear of Echigo-no-kami was very long and heavy so a person would be beheaded when it fell to the ground. In order not to leave this heavy burden to future generations, the chivalrous Kansuke cut off the lower part of the haft and committed ritual suicide by disembowelment. That incident occurred in 1701. Fearing that the incident would be repeated, the Matsudaira family subsequently made the hafts of their spears with an iron core. Kansukefs tomb is also called Yakko-Jizo and the number of people praying for cure from venereal disease is increasing. Those who have been cured express their gratitude with an offering of a bamboo cylinder filled with sake. The vast temple precincts also hold the tomb of the Edo-period Confucianist Inoue Kinga (Tokyo historical site); a statue of Horin Dai-Kannon (Bodhisattva of compassion); a bamboo grove; and a spring.
|Keywords||Shrines / Temples,Capital designated cultural assets|